Top 5 Questions about the Abdominoplasty Procedure
- Posted on: Jun 27 2014
Abdominoplasty, commonly referred to as a “tummy tuck,” is a popular plastic surgery procedure among women seeking to flatten and contour their mid-torso by removing excess fat and tightening muscles. A tummy tuck does not promote dramatic weight-loss, but rather works to dispel small areas of stubborn fat.
To follow are the top 5 questions regarding abdominoplasty.
- Who is a good candidate for a tummy tuck? Individuals that practice a healthy lifestyle are the best candidates for this procedure. Those who don’t smoke, eat well, and exercise regularly but want to remove persistent fat in the tummy area are best suited for this operation. If you intend to lose a large amount of weight, it is recommended that you do so prior to surgery. As pregnancy can stretch the skin and muscles in the abdomen, a tummy tuck can often be an ideal choice for mothers.
- How is the abdominoplasty procedure performed? This out-patient procedure generally lasts 2-3 hours. Two incisions are made, one in the lower bikini-line, and one under the belly button. Liposuction is then performed throughout the abdominal area to remove excess fat tissue. Then, the skin is separated from the muscles in the area, and pulled tighter. Excess skin is removed, the belly button is re-positioned to look natural, and the incisions are closed.
- What should I expect during recovery? Recovery instructions will be provided by your plastic surgeon and should be strictly followed for best results. A surgical drain may be inserted into the abdomen initially to aid in removing excess fluid build-up, and compression garments must be worn after the procedure to help minimize swelling.
- When can I see my results? Results are immediately visible and will improve as swelling subsides. The new contours of your abdomen will better fit the silhouette of your body and help to increase confidence.
- What are the risks associated with a tummy tuck? Complications are rare, but there are always risks involved in any surgical procedure. Some risks include infection and blood clots, which may affect healing.
Abdominoplasty in Calgary
To learn more about abdominoplasty or to schedule a consultation, contact us today. Our offices are located in Calgary, Alberta, and can be reached at (403) 228-7076. We look forward to hearing from you.