The Do’s and Don’ts of Recovering from Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Posted on: Jan 15 2016
Few things are more frustrating than exercising and dieting regularly only to have very little results in some areas of your body, such as your stomach. When you’re not getting the flat abs you’ve been working so hard for, abdominoplasty (or a tummy tuck) may be the answer. If you’ve decided to undergo a tummy tuck procedure, be sure you understand what you should (and shouldn’t) do following surgery:
DON’Ts After Surgery
To allow yourself to heal properly, it’s important to refrain from the following:
– Lifting kids or pets
– Housework (even laundry)
– Grocery shopping – pushing a cart and lifting bags is a no-no
– Drinking carbonated beverages, which can cause bloating
– Waiting until you’re in pain to take your medication. Stay on top of the pain before it becomes excruciating.
– Smoking, which impairs your ability to heal completely and properly
– Exercising, except for walking
– Try on clothes you think will fit before you’ve fully healed
DO’s After Surgery
For a successful recovery, be sure to:
– Drink plenty of fluids and eat a well-balanced diet which will minimize bloating and help your over well-being.
– Allow people to care for you. Don’t think you can go it alone – you’re going to need help.
– Take in some sun. Getting outside for even just a few minutes when it’s sunny can boost your spirits.
– Gently massage your abdomen, which helps with circulation.
– Sleep in an inclined position with your shoulder and head raised above your body to reduce strain on the abdominal area.
– Wear a compression garment to reduce swelling and help the abdominal area stay firm and in shape.
– Hydrate well by drinking plenty of water to flush out toxins and keep your skin cells clean and replenished.
– Stay positive and be patient. You will likely have good days and bad days, or feel like it’s taking too long to see results.
Just remember: the reward of a flat, toned stomach will come in due time.
For more information about abdominoplasty or any of the other services we offer, contact Dr. Wayne R. Perron. We are located in Calgary and can be contacted at 403.228.7076. We look forward to hearing from you.
Posted in: Tummy Tuck